German Cheese Market – Industry Analysis, Forecasts and Opportunity Assessment (2016-2023)
Report on German Cheese Market – Industry Analysis, Forecasts and Opportunity Assessment (2016-2023)
Introduction to German Cheese Market
Cheese is a dairy product, prepared from milk protein and fats, through a process of coagulation. Cheese is commonly made from the milk of buffalo, cow, sheep or goat. Cheese is available in different flavors, textures, and forms in the market. Cheese is flavored by adding various ingredients such as black pepper, garlic, or acids like lemon and vinegar. It contains high levels of protein, calcium, phosphorus, and fats. It is also beneficial for dental and bone health. Cheese has a longer shelf-life. It is a good source of nutrients, such as calcium which is vital for building strong bones and high-quality proteins that provide essential building blocks for strong muscles. It contains other nutrients like phosphorous, zinc, vitamin A and vitamin B12. A large variety of cheese is produced around the globe. The texture and flavor mainly rely on the origin of the milk, which can be aged, pasteurized or processed. The global cheese market was worth US$ 48bn in 2017 which is projected to cross US$ 80bn by 2023. The distinction between texture and taste is determined by the raw material used during preparation of cheese, such as type & breed of milk-producing the animal, grazing and climatic factors, and others. In Cheese manufacturing, about the one-tenth volume of the milk is consumed.
General Market Trends
- Due to urbanization and rising disposable incomes, the fast food industry is growing at a healthy rate which contributes towards the increase in consumption of Cheese. The reason behind this is that the fast food industry is a significant source of cheese consumption
- Emerging markets like China and India are tipped to drive the global cheese market in the coming years. With the increasing westernization of food habits along with a growing economy, the rise in middle-class population, the consumption of cheese in these markets is expected to increase.
- The growth of the organized retail sector is positively impacting the global cheese market.
- Increase in the marketing initiatives by major players through various advertising mediums has increased the product awareness among the population in new markets
- The demand for cheese is growing across the globe as it contains fewer amounts of saturated fats, sodium, and low-density lipoprotein. Due to this, it offers benefits such as a healthy heart, teeth, and bones.
- The shift in tastes and preferences of the consumers towards protein-rich foods is aiding the consumption of cheese worldwide.
- Cheese faces competition with the availability of substitutes such as fruit jams and spreads made from vegetables, peanuts, mayonnaise, etc. which can hamper its market growth.
German Cheese Market Trends
Cheese, in Germany, is primarily consumed with bread. Due to this, cheese offers a full variety of flavor, while also being regarded as healthy. These characteristics put cheese in an advantageous position over sausages and sweet spreads, which are considered less healthy. More consumers are beginning to eat cheese together with bread on a regular basis. They are exploring the wide variety of cheeses on offer in the market. In 2017, cheese showed a strong performance in terms of volume and current value.
Private label sale of Cheese continued to lead in 2017 with a value share of 31%, up by half a percentage point as compared to the year-ago period. The advantage of private label in cheese business is that consumers do not consider branding important. Instead, they prioritize cheese type, especially in unprocessed cheese. Discounting hypermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl offer a wide choice of different good quality cheeses.
German cheese market is predicted to register a solid volume performance over the period of 2017-2022. More German consumers are expected to explore a wide variety of cheese products available as they favor cheese over other less healthy foods. The aging of the population, especially in growth markets like China, will, however, have an adverse impact on annual growth rates of this market. The growth in value of cheese in terms of sales will be affected by the overall economic climate in Germany.
- Natural Cheese
- Hard Cheese
- Soft Cheese
- Processed Cheese
- Spreadable Cheese
- Block Cheese
- Bavarian Bergkase
- Bruder Basil
- Chiriboga Blue
- Danish feta
- Jermi Tortes
- Mirabo Brie
By Distribution Channel:
- Food Specialty Stores
- Convenience Stores
Muller Milch, Danone, Kaserei Champignon, Galaxy Dairy Products, DMK Group, Savencia Fromage & Dairy, Goldsteig, Milchwerke Oberfranken West
Major Trade Partners
Major Suppliers of Cheese to Germany- Poland, Spain, Netherlands, France & Belgium
Major Importers of German Cheese are- Netherlands, France, Italy, U.S.
- Detailed Historical Overview (Market Origins)
- Consumer and Pricing Analysis
- Market dynamics of the industry
- In-depth Market Segmentation
- Historical and Projected Market Sizing in terms of volume and value
- Recent market trends and Impact Factors
- R&D Status and Technology Overview
- Extensive Industry Structure Coverage