1,4 Butanediol is an organic chemical compound that is widely used in chemical industry for production of plastics, solvents, fibres, etc. It is also named as 1,4-Butylene glycol or Butane-1,4-diol. It is colorless, odorless and viscous in nature and has a high boiling point of 230 oC. It is a stable isomer of butanediol. Reppe Process is used for the manufacture of 1,4 Butanediol which involves reaction of formaldehyde and acetylene. It can also be manufactured by Davy process or by using propylene oxide as a raw material. It is used as a ‘recreational drug’, known by names such as ‘One Four Bee’, ‘Liquid Fantasy’ and ‘One Comma Four’.
The end users are mostly end use industry sectors like Construction & Mining, Power Generation and Cement Manufacturing. Chemical plants involved in the manufacturing of Gamma Butyrolactone (GBL), Polyurethanes, Tetrahydrofuran, Poly Butylene Terephthalate (PBT), etc. also make large use of 1,4 Butanediol.
The major growth driving factor for global 1,4 Butanediol market is the growth of end use industries. The rapid industrial growth in countries of Asia Pacific region is expected to drive the demand for 1,4 Butanediol. China has the largest production capacity for this chemical and has thus emerged as a major producer of 1,4 Butanediol. These factors mainly drive the demand for the chemical.
Global 1,4 butanediol market is segmented as follows based on type of applications:
• GBL- Gamma-butyrolactone
• PBT-Polybutylene Terephthalate
• THF- Tetrahydrofuran
Regions like Latin America, North America, Eastern and Western Europe, Middle East & Africa, Asia Pacific and Japan enjoy a significant market share of 1,4 butanediol. Asia Pacific emerged as the largest consumer of 1,4 butanediol, with a volume share of 63% in 2015. It is expected to achieve a CAGR of 8.5% from 2016 to 2025 while North America and Europe are expected to have a slower growth in demand for the chemical, mainly due to saturation of end use industry.
The global market size for 1 4 Butanediol was valued at 6.19billion USD in 2015. This market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.7% from 2016 to 2025. The increased application of its various derivatives like GBL, PBT, THF in different industrial processes and production of spandex fiber has spurred the growth of the chemical market. Besides, the health and fitness industry offers great opportunity for expansion of the market globally due to widespread use of spandex fiber in making comfortable and flexible sportswear.
Some of the major players of global 1,4 butanediol market are Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation,
BASF SE, Sipchem, LyondellBasell Industries N.V, Bioamber Inc. and Ashland Inc.
- Market segments
- Market Drivers, Restraints and Opportunities
- Market Size & Forecast 2016 to 2022
- Supply & Demand Value Chain
- Market – Current Trends
- Competition & Major Companies
- Technology and R&D Status
- Porters Five Force Analysis
- Strategic and Critical Success Factor Analysis of Key Players
- North America
- US and Canada
- Latin America
- Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, U.K.)
- Nordic Countries (Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden)
- Benelux (Belgium, The Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Rest of Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Rest of Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia and New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- GCC countries (Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE and Kuwait)
- South Africa
- North Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
This report is an elaborate aggregation of primary inputs from industry experts and participants across the supply chain. It provides details on market segmentation which is derived from several product mapping exercises, macroeconomic parameters and other qualitative and quantitative insights. The impact of all such factors is delivered across multiple market segments and geographies.
- Detailed Historical Overview (Market Origins, Product Launch Timeline, etc.)
- Consumer and Pricing Analysis
- Market dynamics of the industry
- Market Segmentation
- Estimated Market Sizing in terms of volume and value
- Recent trends in Market and impact
- Research Status and Technology Overview
- Extensive Industry Structure Coverage