A virtual retinal display, is a display technology that creates a raster display directly onto the retina of the eye. For the user, the image appears to be a conventional display floating in space in front of them. It diminishes the gap between the screen and the retina to a zero by directly throwing light on the retina which is just like how we view the world around us. It was developed by Dr. Thomas A. Furness III at the Human Interface Technology Laboratory (HIT Lab) in the University of Washington. The VRD technology produces the images by scanning low power laser light directly onto the retina which will create high contrast, high resolution and bright images. This is especially designed to offer more interactive and immersive experience in Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality technologies. It provides a wide field of view with absolutely no background disturbance.
The numerous benefits of VRD over other display technologies such as the color range, luminance and viewing modes, contrast ratio, drives the growth prospects for the market. The efficient power consumption, low cost high resolution display solutions, easy operation and fast developments are further accelerating the advancement of this technology. The 3D display technology is expected to drive its adoption, in particular across gaming applications. However, the threat of damaging the retina due to radiation in VRD technology restraint the growth of the market.
Virtual Display Market can be segmented on the basis of end user and industry. On the basis of end user the market is divided into government, commercial, and public. The various industries in which virtual retinal display is applied are aviation & tactical, engineering, medical, gaming & entertainment, sports, and training & simulation. The application in the gaming & entertainment industry is expected to hold the maximum share of the VRD market because this industry has been an early adopter of the technology and the demand created for augmented reality and virtual reality applications by the end users.
On the basis of geographic regions the market is segmmented into- North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW). In terms of geography, the Americas accounted for the maximum market share and will continue to dominate the market until the end of 2020. As the market is still in its nascent stage, the vendors are trying to capture the American market due to its large tech-savvy population base. Also, the huge demand for AR technology in the US is driving the market’s growth in the region.
The major players in the global virtual retinal display market are Avegant Corporation, Vuzix Corp, Rockwell Collins Inc., Human Interface Technology Laboratory, Google Inc, Sony Corp., Texas Instruments, Microvision Inc, Innovega Inc., and HTC Corp. among others.
- Market segments
- Market Drivers, Restraints and Opportunities
- Market Size & Forecast 2016 to 2022
- Supply & Demand Value Chain
- Market – Current Trends
- Competition & Major Companies
- Technology and R&D Status
- Porters Five Force Analysis
- Strategic and Critical Success Factor Analysis of Key Players
- North America
- US and Canada
- Latin America
- Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, U.K.)
- Nordic Countries (Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden)
- Benelux (Belgium, The Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Rest of Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Rest of Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia and New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- GCC countries (Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE and Kuwait)
- South Africa
- North Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
This report is an elaborate aggregation of primary inputs from industry experts and participants across the supply chain. It provides details on market segmentation which is derived from several product mapping exercises, macroeconomic parameters and other qualitative and quantitative insights. The impact of all such factors is delivered across multiple market segments and geographies.
- Detailed Historical Overview (Market Origins, Product Launch Timeline, etc.)
- Consumer and Pricing Analysis
- Market dynamics of the industry
- Market Segmentation
- Estimated Market Sizing in terms of volume and value
- Recent trends in Market and impact
- Research Status and Technology Overview
- Extensive Industry Structure Coverage