According to a report by International Energy Agency (IEA), hydroelectric accounted for over 80% of the total renewable energy market. Hydro turbines are the basic devices that are required for conversion of hydraulic energy into mechanical energy and have a well-established position in the energy sector. The market value of the Hydro turbines was found to be US$XX Billion in 2015 and is expected to reach US$ XX Billion by 2022, at a CAGR of XX% during the forecast period. Currently, 17% of the world’s total energy demands are met by hydroelectricity and growing popularity of greener and cleaner energy generation techniques has created tremendous potential for the market. Apart from the energy sector, Hydro turbines also find significant use in agriculture and certain marine applications.
The Hydro turbine market is driven by a number of factors, such as a need for cleaner technologies for energy production, worldwide increase in energy demands, environmental and sociological issues related to dams and government policies worldwide regarding renewable energies. Certain challenges such as technical limitations of available models, high installation costs of dams, their long gestation period, the popularity of other renewable energy sources and corresponding equipment (particularly, gas turbines and solar panels) have proven to be a roadblock. Irrespective of the shortcomings, rapid growth of hydro turbine market has been anticipated, due to urbanisation and ever increasing demand for energy.
Technologically, the market can be divided into two main segments – impulse turbines and reaction turbines. For the same power generated, the number of stages required and corresponding maintenance cost is lesser in impulse turbines, when compared with impulse turbines. Thus, Impulse Turbines is a more popular segment. The type of hydro turbine selected for a project depends upon the height of standing water, the total volume of water involved and location. Agriculture sector uses hydro turbines in irrigation. Small scale hydro electricity plants have gained popularity in agriculture- making farms self-sufficient in terms of energy. Smaller turbines with a high power-speed characteristic are economically feasible.
One of the major advantages of Hydro turbines is that there is no direct emission of CO2. The turbines are specifically popular in Scandinavian countries. About 99.3% of Norway’s energy needs are quenched by hydroelectricity. Currently, the leading consumer of hydro turbines is China, followed by Brazil, Canada and the U.S.
Key players in the industry include Varspeed Hydro Ltd. (Romanian), Muziwemvelo Renewable Energy (South African), Blue Energy Canada (Canadian), Alps Power Technologies (Indian) and American Hydro Corporation (American)- to name a few.
- Market segments
- Market Drivers, Restraints and Opportunities
- Market Size & Forecast 2016 to 2022
- Supply & Demand Value Chain
- Market – Current Trends
- Competition & Major Companies
- Technology and R&D Status
- Porters Five Force Analysis
- Strategic and Critical Success Factor Analysis of Key Players
- North America
- US and Canada
- Latin America
- Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, U.K.)
- Nordic Countries (Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden)
- Benelux (Belgium, The Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Rest of Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Rest of Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia and New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- GCC countries (Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE and Kuwait)
- South Africa
- North Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
This report is an elaborate aggregation of primary inputs from industry experts and participants across the supply chain. It provides details on market segmentation which is derived from several product mapping exercises, macroeconomic parameters and other qualitative and quantitative insights. The impact of all such factors is delivered across multiple market segments and geographies.
- Detailed Historical Overview (Market Origins, Product Launch Timeline, etc.)
- Consumer and Pricing Analysis
- Market dynamics of the industry
- Market Segmentation
- Estimated Market Sizing in terms of volume and value
- Recent trends in Market and impact
- Research Status and Technology Overview
- Extensive Industry Structure Coverage