An active ingredient (API) is a biologically active ingredient in a pharmaceutical drug. Pharmacon or Pharmakon is the traditional word for the API which originally denoted a magical substance or drug. Some drugs, like combination therapies, have multiple AIs to treat different symptoms or act in different ways.
The dosage form for a pharmaceutical drug contains 2 ingredients – the active pharmaceutical ingredient, which is the drug itself, and excipients, which are the substances or fluid of the tablet that helps deliver medication to your system. Excipients are chemically inactive substances, such as mineral oil. Drugs are chosen primarily for their active ingredients only. For instance, if you have headache, acetaminophen is the AI, while the liquid in the capsule is the excipient.
Patients often have trouble identifying the active ingredients in their medication, and are most of the times unaware of the idea of an active ingredient. When patients are on more than one medication, active ingredients can interfere with each other, resulting in life-threatening complications.
The Global API industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.4% over the forecasted period.
Increasing old age population, rising affordability, enhanced life expectancy and improved standard of living are some of the factors that provide impetus to the demand for APIs. However, major regulatory changes in US and Europe, along with rising labour costs in emerging markets like China are set to change the industry landscape. As the growth in developed regions continue to remain flat, the rise of second wave is expected from emerging markets like Mexico, South Korea, Brazil and Taiwan.
The increasing demand for generic drugs from developed countries such as the US, also drives the growth of this market.
The market can be segmented into Synthetic and Biotech based upon the production process. Reports suggest that the synthetic production process accounts for the major market share and dominated the API industry 2016. This process is cost-effective, and the increasing incidences of diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular diseases and orthopaedic disorders are other reasons that drive the market growth.
API market is segmented into conventional & HPAPI segments based upon API type and analysis. During 2016, the conventional API segment accounted for the major market shares.
The API market has been divided into 4 major regions which comprise America, Asia, Europe and the rest of the world. Within these regions countries like US, Italy, Japan, China, India and South Korea holds the maximum demand.
Some of the key players to watch in the market include Dr Reddy, TEVA Pharmaceuticals, Aurobindo Pharma, Cipla, Sun Pharma
- Market segments
- Market Drivers, Restraints and Opportunities
- Market Size & Forecast 2016 to 2022
- Supply & Demand Value Chain
- Market – Current Trends
- Competition & Major Companies
- Technology and R&D Status
- Porters Five Force Analysis
- Strategic and Critical Success Factor Analysis of Key Players
- North America
- US and Canada
- Latin America
- Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe
- EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, U.K.)
- Nordic Countries (Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden)
- Benelux (Belgium, The Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Rest of Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Rest of Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia and New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- GCC countries (Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE and Kuwait)
- South Africa
- North Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
This report is an elaborate aggregation of primary inputs from industry experts and participants across the supply chain. It provides details on market segmentation which is derived from several product mapping exercises, macroeconomic parameters and other qualitative and quantitative insights. The impact of all such factors is delivered across multiple market segments and geographies.
- Detailed Historical Overview (Market Origins, Product Launch Timeline, etc.)
- Consumer and Pricing Analysis
- Market dynamics of the industry
- Market Segmentation
- Estimated Market Sizing in terms of volume and value
- Recent trends in Market and impact
- Research Status and Technology Overview
- Extensive Industry Structure Coverage